- To promote the business of professional pet services and to educate the public regarding the opportunities and benefits of such services.
- To drive focus on modern and relevant business operations, continuous improvement, expert customer service, and overall client experience, in addition to high quality pet care.
- To provide members the opportunity for positive exchange of experiences through discussion.
- To develop and encourage the practice of high standards of conduct among providers of pet services.
- To cooperate in and disseminate information beneficial to members and/or pet owners.
- To cooperate with other individuals and/or organizations in the common endeavor to advance pet services as a business and profession.
- To foster goodwill between members and the public they serve.
- To acquire, preserve and disseminate data and valuable information relative to the functions and accomplishments of successful pet services.
- To strengthen and promote the effectiveness of professional pet services as an occupation by any and all means consistent with the public interest; and
- To positively impact the welfare of Arizona area shelters and animals.
Membership is open to all professional pet service businesses with customers in Arizona.
Professional is defined as businesses having the following:
- Business entity filed with the Arizona Corporate Commission (IE. LLC, S-Corp, etc)
- Bonded (if applicable)
- Professional Website
- Pet Sitting Software
- Policies and Service Agreement
- Pet CPR and First Aid certified
A potential new member must submit a completed application. If approved, payment will be due and new member will be added to the APPSA website. Dues are non-refundable. When a new member joins in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year, dues will be prorated by 40% (website fee portion not prorated).
Members must attend a minimum of FIVE (5) APPSA meetings and/or recognized association events per year.
$75 Returning Members (must attend meetings)
$90 Online Only Returning Members
$95 New Members ($75+ $20 website setup fee)
$110 New Online Member ($90 + $20 website setup fee)
Annual dues must be paid by the December Member Meeting. If received after December 31st, a late fee of $20 is applied. Any checks returned will be charged a $35 returned check fee in addition to the dues.
The board will designate the annual budget in November. The board may vote to spend additional funds on other items, such as web site upgrades, legal fees, or special donations to rescue groups in need. Special assessments may be voted on during the years to pay for any additional expenses that are not built into the annual budget. Any significant expenditures will be announced at member meetings.
Members are expected to uphold the highest professional standards as outlined in the bylaws and membership requirements.
Member Business Permanent Closure: Member must notify APPSA of closure, no refund of dues.
The following process will be adhered to regarding any reason for member expulsion, other than non-payment of member dues:
- The member facing proposed expulsion shall be notified via email within 2 business days of the decision of the Board to pursue proposed expulsion.
- The member has 10 days from the date of notification of proposed expulsion to formulate and present a written rebuttal of the proposed expulsion.
- The member must present to the board the written rebuttal by email.
- The board shall take into consideration the written rebuttal of the member and may expel a member with a 2/3-majority vote. This action should take place within 5 business days of receipt of the rebuttal.
- The member will be notified of the board’s decision within 5 business days by email. Upon notification of a negative decision, the member shall be removed from the APPSA website and Facebook private group.
Reinstatement of Lapse Member:
Any former member that has let membership lapse for more than 6 months, can be reinstated by submitting a new application and full membership dues.
Monthly membership meetings will take place the third Tuesday of each month, starting at 2pm and ending no later than 4pm. The members will be notified by evite prior to the meeting date. In lieu of a traditional meeting, April is the Annual Volunteer Project and December will be the Annual Holiday party. The December meeting is the only meeting that is the 2nd Tuesday of the month.
Board of Directors Elections:
It is the responsibility of the members to identify and elect the Board.
Nominations are taken in October and candidates announced at November meeting.
Voting will begin after the November meeting, with results shared at December Holiday party.
In the event that a new board position is created, or an existing position is vacant due to a member leaving the association or otherwise abandoning their post, a special election will be held to fill the vacancy. Nominations will be accepted at the first subsequent meeting, with elections being held within 2 weeks.
The elected officers of the Arizona Professional Pet Sitters and Associates shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Each officer shall serve only one office concurrently. All officers are elected by the members and serve until their successors have been duly elected and assume office. The BOARD is responsible for the administrative business of the Association. This includes creating special committees, supporting and mentoring the members, and deciding the priorities and direction of the Association.
Qualifications for Office:
Any Individual Member in good standing for 1 year or more shall be eligible for nomination.
The term limits for the Board positions are subject to modification as deemed necessary by the entire APPSA Board.
Vacancies and Removal:
Any vacancy occurring on the Board of Directors may be filled by another Board of member. A director so elected to fill a vacancy shall serve the unexpired term of his/her predecessor. The Board of Directors may remove any Director for cause by an affirmative two-thirds vote of the Board present at any regular or special meeting.
Directors and elected officers shall not receive compensation for their services.
Board of Directors:
Authority and Responsibility The governing body of this Association shall be the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall have supervision, control and direction of the affairs of the Association, its committees and publications; shall determine its policies or changes therein; shall actively prosecute its objectives and supervise the disbursement of its funds. The Board may adopt such rules and regulations for the conduct of its business as shall be deemed advisable, and may, in the execution of the powers granted, delegate certain of its authority and responsibility to the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall consist of at least two (2) and no more than five (5) directors elected from the voting membership. Each one-year term of office is to begin on January first (1st) and end on December thirty-first (31st) of the same year.
The account for the Association is through BBVA. Newly elected BOARD officers must update the signature card by January 31st of each year. Collected dues and other income are deposited into this account and association expenses are paid from this account. All income and expenses must go through this account. A matching receipt must accompany all expenses. At the end of each calendar year, the BOARD may elect to designate a certain percentage of the remaining balance in the account to be set aside as a reserve for future expenses or to be donated to a local charity, rescue or shelter.
If the Association should ever cease to exist, all equipment and capital goods will be disposed of, liabilities paid and remaining assets distributed to local shelters or rescue groups. No individual pet sitting business or member, past or present, has any claim to any asset of the Association.
Current APPSA Board of Directors
Board of Directors
President Michelle Sabia (Paws and Claws Pet Sitting Services)
Vice-President Kristine Barto (Perpetual Love Pet Sitting)
Treasurer Cheryl Tannehill
You can view the current APPSA Board of Directors here.